Wednesday, 15 June 2011

MEADOW IN THE POT


THE GREEN, GREEN GRASS OF HOME
Summer came and stayed for good. The smell is insane - Lilly stands on her feet and sniffs the sunshine sinking inside through the half opened window, dreaming of fresh grass, green trees and colorful flowers. She's getting snoopy.
MY LITTLE GIZMO STUNNED
The temperatures got high so I considered taking her outside, on the fresh juicy grass, but few people I talked to about it advised me against this idea. Why? Because of the chemicals in fertilizers and insecticides used to tend the city green. And the cats/dogs/birds poops on the mown. They all can cause serious health disorder to such a small creature like hammie. Unfortunately, we don’t own any garden so I had to improvise. Early spring I took my old plastic flower-pots and sowed some seeds in them: two sorts of parsley with dill and basil but most of all grass with night-scented stock, especially for Lil' Lilly so that she could smell some lovely smelling flowers being active in the
WALKING ON HAND-MADE SAVANNAH
evening. For almost two months the pots were staying in sunshine, at the balcony, where I took good care of the plants watering them every day, talking to them, and watching them grow. Eventually they all got green, juicy and fragrant, especially the grass, so it was time to introduce Lilly to Mother Nature. Lilly haven’t seen any pot before, so I had to help her get inside, but once she managed, she was completely stunned by the smell and texture of young grass. And when she started exploring, chewing sweet blades and biting stock’s leaves, she didn’t want to get out. To me she realy looked perfectly happy. Seeing her like this is the  best
TAKING SOME VITAMINS
reward for weeks of playing a gardener. Well, it led me to some interesting observation, either. For example: did you know that hammies (pretty like dogs and cats) can gain some additional vitamins from the grass...? So if your little furry friend is sucking fresh, juicy blades  don't worry - it's not turning into Dolly the sheep :-) It's only balancing it's diet. On the other hand you have to be careful: it is said that too much of fresh, green food can cause a hamster stomach problems.  Personally I think that hammies - like all of the animals - have brains on their own and know best what's good and what's bad for them. It's quite intuitive, you know... So feel free to sow and remember: If you wanna make your hammie indecently happy you  have to get DIRTY ! :-)))
NO, IT'S NOT LILLY AFTER EATING SOME GRASS. JUST A REGULAR CLONNED SHEEP.

4 comments:

  1. nice. i love to try this for teddy and biscuit. do you use basil, dill and parsley?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I do. How did you guess? :-) Lilly doesn't like basil at all but she just loves dill, parsley and grass with flowers so I use basil in the kitchen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that you just bought the ready made from the pet shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually I do buy some dried vegetables and fruits. But this spring I grew some in the flower pots myself, so that Lilly could have fun.

    ReplyDelete

You can drop a few words in here, if you want to.