Monday, 10 October 2011

EXTREME MAKEOVERS - CAGE EDITION !

I've been thinking for a while, since Lilly's dreadful night accident... Watching her I realised my little girl is not such little anymore. She grew up and now acts like an adult hamster: constructing amazing igloos with her cotton bedding, managing her pantry with cool precision and constant attention or collecting tones of food which won't go in the transparent bulb where she's got her nest.

A STANDARD IGLOO BY LILLY

The grain fell down to the tubes and outside making Lilly angry and driving me crazy. Honestly, one tube corridor and a nest...? It's too little for a grown up, self confident hammie! The situation needed some proper action so we took it.

HELLO...! I NEED MORE LIVING SPACE...!

The cage system I've already had for Lilly is great but - unfortunately - it doesn't provide for build-up expansions. For what I was planning to do I needed three times as many tubes (at least) so I hit the net, picked up another, larger kit and bought a second, fully equiped cage. The seller was so kind to add some free extra tubes and other stuff. When I put it all together the result went over my expectations. This summer we said goodbye to the old burrow...

BEFORE
...and welcomed the new one:

AFTER

That's right: many, MANY more tubes, much MUCH longer tunnels and TWO nesting bulbs. Lilly couldn't wait to get inside, helping me with the constructions. She's totaly happy with the changes. And guess what: both of the bulbs have been already filled in! For those who doubt that a hammie is able to climb such a high vertical tunnel I have a news update: Lilly and I were testing this configuration before and... no trouble with getting to the top at all.

YYYYY... JUST A LITTLE BIT CLOSER...

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can drop a few words in here, if you want to.