Monday, 2 April 2012

WHAT HAS HAPPENED...?

We were gone for the weekend to visit our family and friends in the other city. 36 hours. Day - night - day. Kropeczka was to stay in  the apartment; there was no point bothering her with the trip, we thought. I wasn't sure about it; I worried how she'd spend the night without the ability to go out of the cage. To understand my fears you need to know that till the last weekend I was playing with her outside each and every single night. So before we left I made sure the cage is safe, gave her new shredded paper stripes for the bedding, fresh water and some extra grains, changed the old half-eaten corn cob to the new one and also prepared for her a new toilet paper roll with a delicious surprise in it to keep Kropeczka occupied in the night. I believe I equipped her with all possible supplies. But when we came back the grains and the paper roll were untoutched, posed as I left them. The cob and lime had no new signs of teeth on them and the nesting material was uncollected. Kropeczka was lurking in her nest and didn't came to me when I called her. She looked odd, she looked very anxious. She was moving slowy as if she was dizzy and in the jam or jelly.

HOW COULD YOU...?! YOU SAID YOU'D ALWAYS BE THERE FOR ME...

When finally she came down she was smelling my hand for a long time as if she never knew me before but when I took her out of the cage she rolled inside my hands into a small furry ball and let me stroke her for a long time. When I put her on the carpet she started to sniff around as if she felt it beneath her feet for the first time. She tried to climb a bit and run in her favourite wooden spinning wheel but it was scary to watch her treating it as if she was affraid of it. For the first time I saw Kropeczka walking, not running. As if it was a different hamster not herself...! While she was trotting a bit in the room suddenly something scared her: she fled into the wardrobe where she sit in the darkest corner looking so poorly I couldn't look at her. I took her out and into my arms; she nestled down into me again as if it was the only place she felt safe in. I examined her carefully but she is completely fine. Now, would someone please tell me what happened while we were away...? Maybe something scared her, a sudden storm for example...? Maybe she missed us: felt that she was left alone and was scared thinking we'd never come back (animals can feel such a things)...? Maybe this one exception of her daily routine was enough to make her forget it since hamsters have poor memory...? I don't know and I hate this.

8 comments:

  1. That's really strange... I can't imagine what happened!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had one shot I'd say she was scared of being alone, of this unnatural silence... Today she's acting more normally hearing me around.

      Delete
  2. I'm also going to guess it was the silence... I'm glad she's alright again, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember this song: THE SOUND OF SILENCE...? Silence can be scaring indeed... I had no idea Kropka became so attached to me, poor thing...

      Delete
  3. She was probably scared because there were none of the familar sounds around her, like your voice. Munchkin does it if I leave him for a night. It is very odd, and scary, but I'm glad to hear she is ok now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you told me about Munchkin. I suspected this might be the reason but wasn't sure. I've heard of dogs having this issue but not about hamsters. Poor Kropeczka... If I had known I would have taken her with me no matter what. She must have felt awfully... To think about the state of the cage I doubt she ate or drunk anything when we were away... :-/

      Delete
  4. I feel so bad for you! She'll come around sooner or later. I wouldn't worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she's already recovered. Las night Kropeczka acted and played with me in the room like nothing ever happened :-) She was also 'reviewing' my GREEN ZONE project, hehe... But I won't reveal the details now - I don't wanna spoil the surprise ;---)

      Delete

You can drop a few words in here, if you want to.