Friday, 30 November 2012

MIXED FEELINGS

Last night Kropeczka scared the shit out of me. Even now I still have no idea what was that I saw yesterday... Let me start from the beginning: I was working on one of my novels late at night, next to her cage. Kropka was still sleeping (she sleeps alot this fall, as if she new the winter is comming) but suddenly I heard her rushing down the tubes. I turned to check on her and I realised that she was acting in a very strange and disturbing way: she was moving slowly, with her head like twisted to the right and her fur in a mess, and she appeared to me so... skiny and thin in comparison to the regular fur ball I saw in the morning... I took her out of the cage to examine her and once again she scared me, 'cause she lied on my hand like a ragdoll, with her feet hanging on both sides of my palm... And she was so quiet and unlikely still, closing her eyes as if she was very, very tired and craved for some sleep... I was caressing her and held in my arms for a long time. The problem was she was in heat last night and because of that I couldn't tell whether she was harmed or not (since she is always most excited when she's in heat and even when she's tired she can run like a rocket just to be stroked). Due to estabilish her condition, I put her on the carpet, just to see her moves, and once again, she was very dizzy, and sort of stretched-like, with this head pulling her right... It was a nightmare. I woke up my husband asking him to come and tell me what he sees and thinks 'cause - honestly - after Lilly I have all of those most horrible scenarios in my mind in a second when I see Kropeczka acting like that... Unfortunately, he also admitted, that she looks strange to him, so we were observing her together...


Once I saw her grooming herself and collecting some carrot pieces, I decided - whatever it is - I'll leave her alone, back in her cage, to let her get some sleep. And today, early in the morning, I checked her immediately: she was perfectly fine, doing all the things she usually does as if nothing ever happened, no sign of the yesterday disturbing behaviour... During the day the same: nothing strange, she was just calmly sleeping in her nest. So, I don't know. Maybe it's just the age... I'm not sure how old she is for real, maybe we all think she's about a year old and in fact she's like 1,5 for example...? The only thing I know is that I was freaking out last night because of her and I told her: Nawet się nie waż mnie teraz opuszczać, ty mała piratko...! Nie waż się mnie zostawiać...!

6 comments:

  1. That sounds absolutely terrifying! Poor you :(
    Hopefully Kropeczka will be fine, but that does sound really worrying. I think putting her back in her cage and letting her rest was a good idea, but I know it must have been hard. Maybe it was just one little thing, hopefully it is nothing serious and re-occurring. I hope Kropeczka is alright and she doesn't suffer like that again, and hope you are ok too.
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern. Well, it seems like she rested well, 'cause on the next day she seemed to be perfectly fine... So whatever it was, it was incidental (I do hope so). So right now she's all right. We even celebrated her symbolic birthday yesterday (I'll post some pictures soon), which is really another story to tell, 'cause she was extremaly rude to me and her birthday cake ;-)

      Delete
  2. Poor Kropeczka :(
    On happier news from poor Kropeczka's strange behaviour and my last comment, I have nominated you for the Super sweet blogging award!

    I love your posts and your blog, and I love hearing updates about Kropeczka, so I nominated you for the award! Congratulations! :D I know some people don't like these awards so you don't have to participate if you don't want to. I really thought you deserved the award cause your blog is great and you take great photos too!

    Award post: http://hannah-animal-tales.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/super-sweet-blogging-award.html

    Hannah (Animal Tails blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Hannah. It's very sweet of you. I wish I had more time for reading and commenting other people's blogs, including yours.

      Delete
  3. Doesn't sound good. Hope this doesn't happen again. Please tell us!
    I was searching in a hamster forum for the cause of Kropeczka behaviour, but didn't found anything. Maybe she was eating bad food?
    Randy and Samson was born february 2th 2011 and january 12th 2011. So they are senior hamsters. I now checking every day if they was collecting their food in the night. Hope both are coming with me when I'm moving to my new house. In this area there are wild hamsters living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since that happening, she's been normal. Her incidental behaviour was scary indeed, though, 'cause it was so similar to what happened to Lilly in February, as if Kropka had some kind of a sudden stroke (that's why I was petrified). I'm still alerted, checking on her once in a while every day and night, but she seems to be fine. Except that she's sleeping more, but - like I mentioned before - she does sleep more this fall in general. I also examined her thoroughly: her belly is soft and well shaped, there are no tumors visible, her skin, her fur is all right now, again, no mucus... Maybe she was just sleepy that day and rushed like crazy (half dizzy, without grooming or eating) just to be stroken (she was in heat, after all)...? I trully have hope so.

      Delete

You can drop a few words in here, if you want to.